On February 22, 2022, AT&T will phase out its 3G network in the United States, which will affect cellular IoT devices currently deployed on its 3G network. Some 4G LTE modules and devices will also be impacted by the 3G AT&T network sunset – even if they are connected to 4G.
The AT&T 3G shutdown will impact the following Ewon devices:
- Ewon Cosy 131 3G: EC6133D
- Ewon Flexy 3G extension card: FLB 3202
Hardware Upgrade Recommendations:
|3G Devices||Hardware Upgrade Recommendations|
|Ewon Cosy 131 3G – Model EC6133D||Ewon Cosy 131 4G (USA – North America): EC6133H Shop Now >>|
|Flexy Extension Card 3G Cellular – Part # FLB 3202||Ewon Flexy 4G extension card (USA – North America): FLB 3205 Shop Now >>|
Impact on 4G LTE Devices
The AT&T sunset will also affect some 4G LTE capable modules and devices – even if they are connected to 4G. This is due to 2 phases:
- How the Ewon device presents its service request (i.e.: 4G data centric) to the (AT&T) network when powered on and trying to attach a cellular network to connect to).
- How the mobile AT&T network will respond to Ewon device service request depending on the available services on the mobile AT&T network.
To ensure continuity of service you can choose one of the following recommendations:
Recommendation #1: Ewon firmware update
- Make sure the modem is configured in Data Centric mode
- Depending on the modem firmware version, the modem is either set in “Voice centric” or in Data Centric mode. Data Centric mode is required to avoid a possible interruption of the service.
- To ensure the modem is in Data Centric mode, install firmware version 14.5s1 on the device, which will verify and set the modem into Data Centric mode if required. To perform the upgrade, the user can connect through Ewon’s eCatcher and use eBuddy to update the Ewon remotely.
Recommendation #2: Ewon modem update
- Upgrade the modem firmware to latest available version.
- Depending on the production date of the Ewon device, the modem firmware may not be the latest available one. In this case, upgrade to the modem firmware version 20.00.507. This firmware version improves global stability and ensures that service requests to the network will be properly performed.
The modem firmware 20.00.507 is already embedded in:
- FLB3205 extension cards with serial number reference 1191-2125-XXXX & after
- EC6133H / BC6133H with serial number reference 2127-XXXX-22 & after
When will Verizon shutdown their 3G network?
Verizon’s plans to retire 3G technology has been extended to the end of 2022. To avoid being left without service, the time to upgrade your Verizon 3G IoT devices is now. As a Verizon partner, we are uniquely qualified to help with your transition from 3G. Contact us for more information.